Spray Tanning Tips
What is spray tanning?
Spray tanning is a type of self-tanning in which a fine spray is applied onto your body. Having an amazing spray tan is a great way to look tanned instantly. Many models and celebrities prefer spray tans to just about any other thing in order to get the color that they want. Spray tans provide a gorgeous, golden color no matter what type of skin one has. Spray tanning involves a high-powered spray gun that’s used to apply the tan in a mist throughout the body. Some spray tan solutions will also include a bronzing agent, to ensure an even, better coverage. Check out these spray tanning tips to get the most out of your tanning session!
If you want to save money and invest in your own machine (recommended) then check out Best At Home Spray Tanning Machines!
Spray Tanning Basics
Most spray tans contain an ingredient in them called Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) which interacts with the chemistry of your skin to turn it tan or bronze. This effect generally lasts from three to ten days, and is totally safe for your skin, even though some sprays don’t provide any form of protection against the rays of the sun. The types of results you get from your tanning applications will generally be very good, but this will definitely depend on some factors.
Now, the spray can be applied from a variety of “devices”. First, one can go to a beauty salon or a tanning salon to have it applied on their skin from a booth. These well-designed booths come with several jets or nozzles that spray the whole body with a tanning solution. Second, spray tans can be administered using an air gun or airbrush as they are called. These look just like the paint gun that is used by painters on your home! They tend to be more mobile and smaller than a booth. Lastly, you can also apply spray tans from a bottle.There are a host of companies making spray tanning products, which have the same compounds you will find in an airbrush gun or a salon.
Preparing for a Spray Tan
Properly preparing for a spray tan means you’ll get longer lasting benefits from your tanning application, and be able to keep that gorgeous, perfect result for up to two weeks. The following tips will assist you in achieving just that!
- Exfoliate your skin 24 hours before your tanning application. This ensures you’ll have removed all the dead skin cells and will help the life time out of your tan.
- All shaving, exfoliation and waxing should be carried out 24 hours beforehand. This helps your pores close before your tanning application starts.
- You should moisturize your knees, knuckles, elbows as well as any other rough or dry skin you might have the day before.
- Don’t apply any moisturizers, perfumes or deodorants on the day of your tanning application. It is also advisable to avoid taking a bathe or shower directly prior to the treatment, thus best to leave a few hours between a spray tan and your wash.
- Your beautician may supply disposable underwear but if you fancy an old dark pair of your own, that works as well. They may also give you a one-use hat for you to wear and if you’ve got long hair you may just want to ensure that you have a hair band to tie it up.
- As soon as you are done with your tanning application, it is important that you have an old gown ready to wear for some time but some dark loose clothing can be suitable too.
Spray Tan Aftercare
If your beautician treats you at your home, you can easily follow these steps to enable your tan develops correctly.
- Don’t let your skin get wet and try to avoid sweating at the gym as well as engaging in any other activities that will affect your tanning. This includes washing hands, showering, bathing, or washing up!
- Avoid putting on tight underwear and clothing including socks and bra. Wait at least eight hours before cleaning off the excess to reveal your amazing tan.
- Avoid physical contact and try not to touch your skin too much.
- Avoid sitting on light colored materials, soft furnishings and leather as these are likely to stain permanently. Always remember to cover fabrics before you sit on them after your tan application. Have in mind that your bedding can stain as well so you might want to lay a towel down before going to sleep!
Maintaining Your Spray Tan
- Avoid swimming because the chlorine is likely to strip the color of your skin.
- Take a shower as opposed to taking long baths.
- Do not use a towel to wipe yourself as this will alter the tan on your skin.
- Avoid any shaving or waxing treatments for at least 2 to 3 days.
- Moisturize regularly because this will hydrate your skin and extend the life of your spray tan. This also helps to avoid your tan from fading too quickly.
Your tan could last for up to 12 days if you are able to strictly follow the above maintenance tips, hence making it a great value for money.
Spray Tanning Cost
Right off the bat, you will realize that the price of a spray tanning session varies from place to place. Not only in your state or country, but also within your own town or city!
Generally, a single spray tanning session done at a salon goes for about $20 to $50, possibly more. And if you are going to have a person come to your home (referred to as mobile air-brush tanning), then expect to cash out more than that.
You will see mobile technicians charging anywhere from $50 up to several hundred dollars. Even though spray tanning may be a high-end service, have in mind that many of these sources provide monthly memberships and package deals.
If you are going to spray tan regularly basis these discounts can bring the “per session cost” down significantly.
You only need to make a clear decision if you are going to use it enough in order for you to justify the cost. Thus overall, having your spray tanning session done at a salon is basically going to cost a lot more compared to if you are using a self-tanning product such as sunless tanning lotions or if you invest in your own spray tanning machine. Keeping these spray tanning tips in mind can go a long way in giving you amazing, beautiful skin for many years.